During the summer it’s easy to remember to protect your skin with sunscreen but it’s easy to forget about the health of your eyes. Sunglasses, at the very least, should be a must. Make sure they have lenses that block most of the UV rays, including UVA and UVB rays, and by most, 95% and 99% respectively. If the label on the pair you’re considering doesn’t mention this, they’re really more for fashion than function.
Say “eye-eye” to these three supplements.
Beyond UV-blocking sunglasses, there are other ways to support those peepers.
Bilberry Extract – supports healthy eye function.† Bilberry is very similar to blueberry and is a low-growing perennial in North American, European, and Asian woodlands. The edible berry contains anthocyanosides – natural flavonoid antioxidants found in blue and purple fruits including grapes and blueberries. These compounds are considered the most important in research with bilberry that is concentrated on eye health.†
In fact, anthocyanosides from bilberry have been shown to enhance vision and healthy eye function:†
• As a source of powerful antioxidants, they help protect the cells of the eye against free radical damage.†
• They help strengthen blood vessel walls and reinforce connective tissue, for improved circulation in the small blood vessels of the eye.†
• They support rhodopsin, a naturally-occurring pigment in the retinal rods, responsible for night vision and adjustments to light and dark.†
Pound for pound, a potent extract. This is a potent extract: it takes 100 pounds of bilberries to yield one pound of Bilberry Extract. This vegetarian formula is standardized to contain 25 percent anthocyanosides, and was developed in accordance with the safety and efficacy standards set forth by the German Commission E, the world wide recognized authority for effective herbal remedies.
Doctor’s Choice™ Eye Formula with Lutein – a smart supplement.
If you’re already using one of the Doctor’s Choice™ multiples, Doctor’s Choice Eye formula with Lutein makes a great addition to your regimen. This supplement was created to provide extra nutrients for your eyes that you may not be getting from food alone.†
The reason we’ve called out “lutein” in the name is because this powerful ingredient found naturally in plants and our eyes. Related to beta-carotene, lutein supports the ability of our eyes to focus images on the retina.† In fact, lutein is naturally highly concentrated in the retina, and researchers believe that this antioxidant supports macular pigment, which absorbs ultraviolet radiation from the sun.†
Of course, Doctor’s Choice Eye Formula with Lutein contains other ingredients, too. These nutrients include:
• Vitamin A, which is essential for eyes' adaptation to changes in light, night vision, and color vision† • Zinc, which helps prevent night blindness and is responsible for the mobilization of vitamin A†
• Beta-carotene, a water-soluble form of vitamin A, which helps maintain eye moisture†
• Vitamin C, which is essential to eye lens function.†
• Hachimijiogan Herbal Complex used for generations to support healthy blood flow, including blood flow to the retina.†
• Bilberry, which helps strengthen the small blood vessels in the eyes and helps protect the cells in the eyes from free-radical damage.†
Doctor’s Choice Eye Formula with Lutein provides comprehensive nutritional support for eye health.† Making it part of your formula for this summer is one of the smartest things you can do to enjoy your time in the sun.
Ultra Ginkgo!: another very smart supplement.
A truly “smart herb”, ginkgo biloba is popular for good reason. Its antioxidant properties provide cognitive protection, and it has been shown to enhance short-term memory by supporting healthy circulation in the brain.† Ginkgo’s beneficial effect for eye health are also due to its support of microcirculation to the blood vessels of the eyes.†
Ultra Ginkgo! - powered by Phytosomes™ - supports improved short-term memory and minimizes mild memory problems associated with aging, and, due it’s combination of one part standardized ginkgo extract with two parts phosphatidylcholine, dramatically improves the absorption of ginkgo’s key compounds.†
Love your eyes this summer.
Healthy vision is something many of us take for granted, but probably shouldn’t. Definitely shade your eyes with UV-protecting sunglasses and wear a hat on those bright days, too. For extra support, consider one of these supplements. It’s one of the brainiest things you can do.
Published December 30, 2010